Thursday, October 20, 2011

Quick & Easy - Rice Cooker Chicken Wings

I love chicken wings!  When I was little I can eat a dozen of them in 1 sitting. I think that's because my dad would remove the skin and 1 of the bones before putting them in my bowl.  He formally stopped doing this when I was 12; but sometimes if I am lucky, he still does that for me.

When it comes to eating chicken wings, I don't have a favorite kind.  I love soy sauce wings, salt water wings, buffalo wings, fried wings, etc.  But when it comes to cooking chicken wings, I only know 1 trick: Barbecue-style.  Unfortunately I am not entirely sure the oven @ my place is safe to use.  Now what?

I brought up my dilemma with my mom & this is what she said: "marinate the wings over night in salt & white pepper.  Next day, steam them as you cook rice in the rice cooker."  Say what?!?

I was totally not convinced after our conversation; but what other choice do I have?  I need real food for dinner & I don't have any fancy schmancy condiments.  Salt & white pepper it is.

Here is what happened the nights before...
     Defrost as many chicken wings as you wish to cook.  I used the kind where the wing & the drum stick are separated.
     Rinse the defrosted chicken wings under cold water & pat them dry with paper towels.
     In a large bowl, generously sprinkle in salt & white pepper.  You might want to move the wings around to make sure that every wing is treated equal.
     Using your hands, give the chicken wings a massage so to spread the salt/pepper evenly around.
     Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap & store in the fridge over night

When I was ready to make dinner...
     Take the chicken wings out of the fridge & place them in a plate in 1 layer.
     Put the plate in the steamer attachment of the rice cooker & push cook.

That's all there is to it!  This took about 20 minutes which I spent drafting this blog post.  The finished product was absolutely delicious and the wings were uber juicy.  A bonus - if you like, mix the chicken juice/sauce in the plate with the rice to give it some flavor.




No comments:

Post a Comment