Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend Dinner - Turkey Chili

One of the things I like to do on weekends is to cook a big portion of something that we can bring for lunch & reheat for a quick dinner throughout the next week.  I particularly like making chili since it is filling & we can just eat a bowl of it without having to bother with rice, potatoes, or any other kind of starch.  When I was on Lent many months ago, I made a vegetarian chili that I liked a lot.  But now that I can have meat again, I need a new chili recipe.


The grocery list called for...
     11/2 pounds ground turkey
     1 yellow onion, chopped
     1 green bell pepper, chopped
     1 can kidney beans
     1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
     1 cup water
     1 tablespoon garlic, minced
     11/2 tablespoons chili powder
     1/2 teaspoon paprika
     1/2 teaspoon oregano
     1/4 teaspoon cayenne
     1/2 teaspoon cumin
     Salt & black pepper to taste

All you have to do is follow the steps...
     In a large pot, brown the ground turkey in a little bit of oil
     Add in the onion & bell pepper; cook until they are tender
     Add in water, kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, & garlic
     Season with chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne, cumin, salt & pepper
     Bring the whole thing to boil
     Reduce heat & let simmer for 30 minutes


It sucks that I don't have a picture but all chili look about the same so you can imagine what this one looks like too.  We happened to have some really spicy salsa leftover from a taqueria in the Mission in our fridge so I threw that into the pot and it gave the chili some really good heat; just reduce the amount of water by 1/4 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment