Saturday, June 30, 2012

From the Oven - Banana Cake

I have been eating a lot of bananas lately but I have this thing where I don't like bananas as soon as they turn fully yellow.  Because I have this peeve, I tend to buy bananas that are mostly green so they'd last longer.  Well, for whatever reason, the bunch that I bought the other day turned from 90%-green-10%-yellow to full on yellow with black spots in 3 days!

Since I can't let 3 bananas go to waste, I decided I should make something with it.    I wanted to make this vegan banana bread that I really liked from college but for some reason the link that my old roommate sent to me no longer works.  Also, I don't have a loaf pan & you can't make banana bread without a loaf pan.  So I took a chance and Googled "banana cake" & I found this recipe on Food.com.  This recipe has 5 out of 5 stars from over 1000 ratings so there is no way I can go wrong; I hope.



























The list of ingredients is pretty short...
     4 bananas
     2 teaspoons lemon juice
     3 cups all purpose flour
     11/2 teaspoons baking soda
     1/4 teaspoon salt
     3/4 cup butter, softened (this is 11/2 sticks)
     2 cups sugar
     3 eggs
     2 teaspoons vanilla extract
     11/2 cups buttermilk*

There are only 8 steps...
     Mash the bananas in a bowl & add in lemon juice
     In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, & salt
     In yet another bowl (a big one), cream together butter & sugar
     To the butter, add in vanilla extract & eggs 1 @ a time
     Add flour & butter milk to the butter/egg mixture alternately
     After everything is incorporated, mix in bananas
     Pour batter into a pre'greased 11in springform pan
     Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until the center is not wet


The recipe uses a 9x13 pan but I didn't have one so I used my 11in springform.  Whatever pan you decide to use, just make sure the batter doesn't go up past half way because the cake rises!  The recipe says to put the cake into the freezer for 45 minutes immediately after it is out of the oven but I didn't do that & the cake still turned out very moist & tasty.  There is also a frosting that comes with the original recipe that I didn't make because I think the cake itself is sweet enough & the frosting would just be overkill.

This banana cake is a great way to not waste food & it taste super delicious wether as a snack or as breakfast.  And the best part is...I don't know what color the banana is anymore so I can eat it all!


*If you do not have buttermilk @ home, you can try substituting it with 11/2 cups milk added to 11/2 tablespoons lemon juice & let it all sit in the fridge for @ least 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment