Friday, August 10, 2012

From the Oven - No Fat Banana Bread

If you read my banana cake recipe, you know that I have a pet peeve about yellow bananas.  Well it just so happened that this time around, I had some more yellow (actually they were more black) bananas around my apartment.  Not really satisfied with my previous attempt of baking banana goodies, I thought it best to go back to the basics & use a vegan banana bread recipe that I have tried before with great success; a recipe that my college roomie shared with  me.

Searching through old Facebook messages, I finally found the link to the original recipe after a good while.  *Click*.... Error 404 Page Not Found. NOOO!  What?!?  How can that be?!?

OK, so that was a dramatization of what actually happened but that doesn't mean I was any less disappointed about the disappearance of this delicious recipe.  But the show must go on - & I had to get rid of these bananas - so I searched around for a similar recipe & found this on Pinterest.


So to make a banana bread that doesn't have any fat, it will take...
     2 cups all-purpose flour
     1 teaspoon baking soda
     1/4 teaspoon salt
     1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
     1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
     3/4 cup agave nectar (or honey)
     3 bananas, mashed

And you would have to...
     Combine flour, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon together in a bowl
     Combine apple sauce, agave, & mashed bananas in another bowl
     Add the wet ingredients to the dry & combine until everything just comes together
     Bake in a prepared loaf pan @ 375F for 30 minutes uncovered
     After 30 minutes, cover the pan with foil & bake for 20 more minutes



























The picture is kind of blurry but the loaf turned out pretty decent...that was, until I took a bite.  It doesn't taste bad; actually it tastes pretty good.  But the texture was...well...interesting; it is kind of dense, thick, & makes you want to smack it in between your tongue/roof of your mouth.  I can't say his is a faulty recipe & I can't say that my substitution of agave nectar for the honey messed things up; but I can say that the lack of fat might have something to do with it.

*Sigh*...why are things that are bad for you always make things taste better?!?

2 comments:

  1. Hm. Maybe experiment with a type of ground nuts next time? Walnuts perhaps? And a little bit of oat bran for texture. If all else fails... add in maybe another type of spice to give a bit of distraction from the texture.

    A little warning about nonfat recipes - they often add more than normal sugar to make up for the nonfat. I recommend adding maybe a bit of olive oil.. or even margarine...to pull down the sugar to lower amounts.

    Disclaimer of course: I've never made banana bread before. I wish I could try a slice of the bread you made though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions Mei, I will definitely keep this in mind the next time I try making banana bread. And I will definitely save you a slice :)

    ReplyDelete